The Town of Morinville, poised on the doorstep of the City of St. Albert and the City of Edmonton, offers an excellent quality of life with convenient access to urban amenities while retaining the characteristics of a vibrant and flourishing rural community. With a population exceeding 9,800 and budget in excess of $18 million, Morinville is a growing community developed on a foundation of a rich heritage and culture.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), and as a senior leadership team member, the Director of Planning & Economic Development participates in the development and implementation of the vision, strategy and goals of the Town of Morinville. Administrative leadership and oversight activities will ensure that programs and services are working together collaboratively for excellent delivery to citizens and to achieve Council's priorities.
The Director is directly responsible and accountable for the provision of long range, as well as , current planning services, economic development, subdivision and development processing, building safety codes and business licensing.
Service development and delivery will be used as a catalyst to drive and enhance quality of life and fostering and ultimately attracting new businesses to the Town of Morinville. The incumbent must be well versed in the art of consultation and facilitation and be comfortable and effective in communicating in the public arena. Some of the key objectives of this position include:
- Working in partnership with the CAO and senior leadership team, implement the planning framework associated with the 25 year Municipal Sustainability Plan, 3 year Strategic Plan and 1 year Business Plan.
- Provide leadership through vision, oversight and mentoring to the Planning & Economic Development Team.
- Assess current economic sustainability.
- Effective management through strategic planning, budget coordination and performance management.
- Steward the development, enhancement and delivery of high quality services to the community.
- Facilitate the development of community focused strategies, policies and operational plans.
- Define, establish and implement priorities and best practices that add value to Town's economic development efforts.
- Liaise with the respective boards or organizations to identify, facilitate and oversee community development opportunities and activities.
- Assess and effectively respond to public needs in alignment with corporate direction and messaging.
- A minimum of an accredited undergraduate planning degree or equivalent, with an accredited Masters level planning degree being strongly preferred. Also having a professional designation in the field of economic development would be highly desirable. (Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.)
- The professional designation of Registered Professional Planner (RPP) from the Alberta Professional Planners Institute, or eligibility therefore, is required.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience as a Director of Planning and Economic Development (or equivalent position) or a minimum 3-5 years of experience at a mid to senior level planning and development position.
- Proven leadership and strategic planning ability with demonstrated understanding and effectiveness in managing and optimizing a professional team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and facilitation skills including preparation and presentation of high quality reports.
- Highly developed organizational coaching abilities, problem solving and issue management skills.
- A sound understanding of operational and financial planning.
- A clear Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check will be required prior to commencement of employment.
Compensation: We offer a comprehensive wellness and pension benefit package, workplace development and great opportunities for employees to become involved in the community.
Application Deadline: 12:00 pm, July 24, 2018.
Please submit resumes by the above noted deadline; however, resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Submit applications quoting "Director—Planning & Economic Development" to:
Human Resources, Town of Morinville
10125-100 Avenue, Morinville, AB T8R 1L6
The Town of Morinville thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.