The Town of Morinville is currently seeking a Full-Time Community Peace Officer 1 (CPO 1) to join the Team. Reporting to the CPO Sergeant, the CPO 1 will work in a team environment which includes part-time/casual Peace Officers, RCMP members of the Morinville Detachment and support positions for both Enforcement Services and the RCMP members.
The CPO 1 is responsible for enforcement of Municipal by-laws and Provincial Statutes as approved by the Province of Alberta, responding to and investigating complaints, conducting vehicle patrols within the Town of Morinville, liaising with other enforcement and Emergency Service agencies, and Automated Enforcement Contracts, participating or assisting with community events.
As a member of the Enforcement Services unit , the CPO 1 assists and works cooperatively with the RCMP and other municipal departments and the community to fulfill the Town's objectives in the areas of enforcement, prevention, intervention, and education. Key objectives and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Enforce various legislation as it relates to municipal operations.
- Ensure enforcement of municipal bylaws and provincial acts.
- Ensure that inquiries and complaints enforcement activities and responsibilities are handled promptly, effectively and with professionalism; ensure appropriate resolutions are achieved.
- Participation at special events as they pertain to enforcement services.
- Prepare reports and presentations as required.
- Office administration functions including assisting in development of plans and standard operating procedures; filing and quality records management; assist in review of departmental policies and bylaws; and other related duties.
- Work effectively with other municipal departments, RCMP, federal and provincial agencies, and community organizations on a continual basis.
- Shift work is required; work will be subject to outdoor weather conditions.
- Degree and /or Diploma in Police and Justice Studies or related field.
- Appointment, or ability to obtain appointment, as a Community Peace Officer 1; all required training as outlined under the Alberta Peace Officer's Act as outlined by the Solicitor General.
- Knowledge and operational experience in Bylaw Enforcement and Provincial Legislation (Prior Municipal CPO experience is an asset). Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid Class 5 License and Drivers Abstract.
- Valid PARE Certification (or equivalent).
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
- Specialized training including Baton, O.C. Spray, Commercial Vehicle Weight Enforcement, Traffic Enforcement (laser & radar), CVSA and Transportation of Dangerous Goods is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication (public and internal) skills including preparation and presentation of high quality reports.
- Highly developed organizational, interpersonal, problem solving, issue management and dispute resolution skills.
- Proficient computer technology skills (including Microsoft Office suite); experience with Report Executive is an asset.
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector is a condition of employment.
- The successful incumbent will be required to successfully obtain and sustain Solicitor General Security Clearance and an Enhanced Security Clearance through the RCMP.
Compensation: Full-time—7 step Grid ($73,914 - $88,358) plus shift differential premiums for evenings and weekends as applicable. We offer a comprehensive wellness and pension benefit package, workplace development and great opportunities for employees to become involved in the community.
Application Deadline: 12:00 pm, July 04, 2018.
Please submit resumes by the above noted deadline; however, resumes will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Submit applications quoting "CPO 1" to:
Human Resources, Town of Morinville
10125-100 Avenue, Morinville, AB T8R 1L6
The Town of Morinville thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.